Saturday, March 23, 2019

Vindkaldr: Ambient I



Vindkaldr is an interesting band that has dabbled in both the realms of Ambient/Dungeon Synth as well as black metal. Now, those two genres mesh very well together and has such been the case for nearly 30 years. That being said, for the release of "Ambient I", Vindkaldr would put aside everything else on their plate on focus all their attention on creating this masterpiece.

Using only synths to create such a musical journey is no small feat, but Ambient I shows just how complex and layered the genre can sound with the proper songwriting. The complex structure of the songs rely on various pitches of synths, with a varying degree of tempos and pace. Vinkaldr use long drawn out notes that resonate for long duration, while other times they use bouncy and psychedelic sounds that add pep and rhythm to an already complex sound. The sounds created from the synths range from keyboard sounding notes, 8-bit sounds and, I suppose what can only be described as synth sounds. The music is soft at times, while others it is fun and upbeat. There are dark passages of progressive brooding tones and there are light and inspiring sections as well. I will try to explain how Ambient I did just that, but it will be more in the form of expressionism.

I'm having a hard time trying to write my feelings about this album. On one hand, I feel as though I could write an epic that would rival "War and Peace". On the other, I cannot in good conscious, express how I feel about this album, knowing that those feelings change with each listen. The music is pure expressionism. Expression of sound. Expression of emotion. Expression of life. Upon my first listen of "Ambient I", I was completely unprepared for the amount of pure emotions that would surge through my body. I found myself in a state of mourning then,  in a state of ecstasy. I felt pure elation and yet, utter sorrow. I was on the brink of crying, but was quickly smiling from ear to ear.

"Ambient I" is not just music, it's a journey through the deepest parts of your conscious and subconscious. A revelation of self contemplation. It will transport you to worlds that never existed, while conjuring memories and images of your past, present and future. The moment the distant sounding synths kick in on "Moon Snatcher" begin, I found myself reminiscing about both good times and bad throughout my life. I could envision myself within scenarios that could become become reality, while seeing others that were pure fantasy. When the gentle yet sorrowful opening to "The Fairy That Disappeared" begins, I all can say is, you better be prepared for a emotional roller coaster. It may very well be the single greatest piece of music I've ever heard. Likewise "The Lonely Steed" will have you mind pulling at every direction as the synth employs its rhythmic and elongated sounds that will have you dwelling in one form of emotion for the duration of the song.

The greatest aspect about "Ambient I" is that, each listen, offers a completely different experience. Depending on your mood, you may find yourself contemplating the meaning of life as you listen. Then next time around, you may feel pure elation as you allow your mind to be swept away into a far distant fantasy. I have experienced very few pieces of music that can have not only such an overwhelming effect on my emotions, but one that seems to have infinite "first impressions" as each listen conjures a different mood. 

I think I've said enough about how I feel about this album, but that's only because there's no actual limit to those feelings, at least not in one sitting. In my opinion, Ambient I sits within the upper echelon of the Dungeon Synth genre. The only negative thing about this release is that it is now my gold standard. Now, every other ambient or dungeon synth album will forever have to try an live up to this release, which unfortunately for them, may be unattainable. Fans of ambient or dungeon synth must give this a listen, but I encourage anyone to give it a try. This album would make an excellent sleep aid as well as a method of relaxation for someone felling a bit stressed.

(Be sure to turn down the lights, turn off all electronics (no phone interruptions) and remove all distractions before you listen in order to experience the full potential)

Highlights: The entire album, each time you listen.

Rating: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment